Synonyms for grave
- 1. grave, death, dying, demise
- usage: death of a person; "he went to his grave without forgiving me"; "from cradle to grave"
- 2. grave, tomb, topographic point, place, spot
- usage: a place for the burial of a corpse (especially beneath the ground and marked by a tombstone); "he put flowers on his mother's grave"
- 3. grave accent, grave, accent, accent mark
- usage: a mark (`) placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
- 1. sculpt, sculpture, grave, carve
- usage: shape (a material like stone or wood) by whittling away at it; "She is sculpting the block of marble into an image of her husband"
- 2. scratch, engrave, grave, inscribe, carve, chip at
- usage: carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface; "engrave a pen"; "engraved the trophy cupt with the winner's"; "the lovers scratched their names into the bark of the tree"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. grave, sedate, sober, solemn, serious (vs. frivolous)
- usage: dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises; "a grave God-fearing man"; "a quiet sedate nature"; "as sober as a judge"; "a solemn promise"; "the judge was solemn as he pronounced sentence"
- 2. dangerous, grave, grievous, serious, severe, life-threatening, critical (vs. noncritical)
- usage: causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm; "a dangerous operation"; "a grave situation"; "a grave illness"; "grievous bodily harm"; "a serious wound"; "a serious turn of events"; "a severe case of pneumonia"; "a life-threatening disease"
- 3. grave, grievous, heavy, weighty, important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: of great gravity or crucial import; requiring serious thought; "grave responsibilities"; "faced a grave decision in a time of crisis"; "a grievous fault"; "heavy matters of state"; "the weighty matters to be discussed at the peace conference"
See also: grave (Dictionary)