Synonyms for grounding
- 1. foundation, grounding, education
- usage: education or instruction in the fundamentals of a field of knowledge; "he lacks the foundation necessary for advanced study"; "a good grounding in mathematics"
- 2. grounding, earthing, fastening, attachment
- usage: fastening electrical equipment to earth
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. anchor, ground, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: fix firmly and stably; "anchor the lamppost in concrete"
- 2. ground, restrain, confine, hold
- usage: confine or restrict to the ground; "After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"
- 3. ground, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place or put on the ground
- 4. ground, teach, learn, instruct
- usage: instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject
- 5. ground, strand, run aground, land
- usage: bring to the ground; "the storm grounded the ship"
- 6. ground, run aground, reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain
- usage: hit or reach the ground
- 7. ground, throw
- usage: throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage
- 8. ground, hit
- usage: hit a groundball; "he grounded to the second baseman"
- 9. ground, hit
- usage: hit onto the ground
- 10. prime, ground, undercoat, paint
- usage: cover with a primer; apply a primer to
- 11. ground, connect, link, tie, link up
- usage: connect to a ground; "ground the electrical connections for safety reasons"
- 12. establish, base, ground, found
- usage: use as a basis for; found on; "base a claim on some observation"