Synonyms for gum
- 1. chewing gum, gum, sweet, confection
- usage: a preparation (usually made of sweetened chicle) for chewing
- 2. gingiva, gum, animal tissue
- usage: the tissue (covered by mucous membrane) of the jaws that surrounds the bases of the teeth
- 3. gum, exudate, exudation
- usage: any of various substances (soluble in water) that exude from certain plants; they are gelatinous when moist but harden on drying
- 4. glue, gum, mucilage, cement
- usage: cement consisting of a sticky substance that is used as an adhesive
- 5. gumwood, gum, wood
- usage: wood or lumber from any of various gum trees especially the sweet gum
- 6. gum tree, gum, tree
- usage: any of various trees of the genera Eucalyptus or Liquidambar or Nyssa that are sources of gum
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. gum, put on, apply
- usage: cover, fill, fix or smear with or as if with gum; "if you gum the tape it is stronger"
- 2. mumble, gum, chew, masticate, manducate, jaw
- usage: grind with the gums; chew without teeth and with great difficulty; "the old man had no teeth left and mumbled his food"
- 3. gum, change
- usage: become sticky
- 4. gum, exude, exudate, transude, ooze out, ooze
- usage: exude or form gum; "these trees gum in the Spring"
See also: gum (Dictionary)