Synonyms for head
- 1. head, caput, external body part
- usage: the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains; "he stuck his head out the window"
- 2. head, domestic animal, domesticated animal
- usage: a single domestic animal; "200 head of cattle"
- 3. mind, head, brain, psyche, nous, cognition, knowledge, noesis
- usage: that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason; "his mind wandered"; "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
- 4. head, chief, top dog, leader
- usage: a person who is in charge; "the head of the whole operation"
- 5. head, formation
- usage: the front of a military formation or procession; "the head of the column advanced boldly"; "they were at the head of the attack"
- 6. head, pressure, pressure level, force per unit area
- usage: the pressure exerted by a fluid; "a head of steam"
- 7. head, top
- usage: the top of something; "the head of the stairs"; "the head of the page"; "the head of the list"
- 8. fountainhead, headspring, head, beginning, origin, root, rootage, source
- usage: the source of water from which a stream arises; "they tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
- 9. head, head word, word
- usage: (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
- 10. head, point, tip, peak
- usage: the tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
- 11. head, linear unit, linear measure
- usage: the length or height based on the size of a human or animal head; "he is two heads taller than his little sister"; "his horse won by a head"
- 12. capitulum, head, plant organ
- usage: a dense cluster of flowers or foliage; "a head of cauliflower"; "a head of lettuce"
- 13. principal, school principal, head teacher, head, educator, pedagogue, pedagog
- usage: the educator who has executive authority for a school; "she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
- 14. head, individual
- usage: an individual person; "tickets are $5 per head"
- 15. head, drug user, substance abuser, user
- usage: a user of (usually soft) drugs; "the office was full of secret heads"
- 16. promontory, headland, head, foreland, natural elevation, elevation
- usage: a natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea)
- 17. head, object, physical object
- usage: a rounded compact mass; "the head of a comet"
- 18. head, foam, froth
- usage: the foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container; "the beer had a large head of foam"
- 19. forefront, head, front, front end, forepart
- usage: the part in the front or nearest the viewer; "he was in the forefront"; "he was at the head of the column"
- 20. pass, head, straits, juncture, occasion
- usage: a difficult juncture; "a pretty pass"; "matters came to a head yesterday"
- 21. headway, head, progress, progression, advance
- usage: forward movement; "the ship made little headway against the gale"
- 22. point, head, mark
- usage: a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer; "the point of the arrow was due north"
- 23. question, head, subject, topic, theme
- usage: the subject matter at issue; "the question of disease merits serious discussion"; "under the head of minor Roman poets"
- 24. heading, header, head, line
- usage: a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about; "the heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
- 25. head, structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure
- usage: the rounded end of a bone that fits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint; "the head of the humerus"
- 26. head, structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure
- usage: that part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
- 27. read/write head, head, coil
- usage: (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
- 28. head, obverse
- usage: (usually plural) the obverse side of a coin that usually bears the representation of a person's head; "call heads or tails!"
- 29. head, striker
- usage: the striking part of a tool; "the head of the hammer"
- 30. head, toilet, lavatory, lav, can, john, privy, bathroom
- usage: (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
- 31. head, projection
- usage: a projection out from one end; "the head of the nail", "a pinhead is the head of a pin"
- 32. drumhead, head, membrane
- usage: a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- 33. oral sex, head, perversion, sexual perversion
- usage: oral stimulation of the genitals; "they say he gives good head"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. head, proceed, go forward, continue
- usage: to go or travel towards; "where is she heading"; "We were headed for the mountains"
- 2. head, lead, direct
- usage: be in charge of; "Who is heading this project?"
- 3. lead, head, precede, lead
- usage: travel in front of; go in advance of others; "The procession was headed by John"
- 4. head, head up, be
- usage: be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel; "This student heads the class"
- 5. steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, head, guide, channelize, channelise, control, command
- usage: direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
- 6. head, originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow
- usage: take its rise; "These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
- 7. head, lie
- usage: be in the front of or on top of; "The list was headed by the name of the president"
- 8. head, form
- usage: form a head or come or grow to a head; "The wheat headed early this year"
- 9. head, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove the head of; "head the fish"
See also: head (Dictionary)