Synonyms for hope
- 1. hope, anticipation, expectancy
- usage: a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant"
- 2. hope, feeling
- usage: the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"
- 3. promise, hope, expectation, outlook, prospect
- usage: grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
- 4. hope, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory"
- 5. Hope, Bob Hope, Leslie Townes Hope
- usage: United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (1903-2003)
- 6. hope, theological virtue, supernatural virtue
- usage: one of the three Christian virtues
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. hope, trust, desire, wish
- usage: expect and wish; "I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"
- 2. hope, desire, want
- usage: be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes; "I am still hoping that all will turn out well"
- 3. hope, go for, plan, be after
- usage: intend with some possibility of fulfilment; "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"
See also: hope (Dictionary)