Synonyms for imperative
- 1. imperative mood, imperative, jussive mood, mood, mode, modality
- usage: a mood that expresses an intention to influence the listener's behavior
- 2. imperative, duty, responsibility, obligation
- usage: some duty that is essential and urgent
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. imperative (vs. beseeching), adjuratory, clamant, crying, exigent, insistent, instant, desperate, pressing, urgent, peremptory, assertive
- usage: requiring attention or action; "as nuclear weapons proliferate, preventing war becomes imperative"; "requests that grew more and more imperative"
- 2. imperative
- usage: relating to verbs in the imperative mood