Synonyms for law
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. law, jurisprudence, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
- 2. law, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"
- 3. law, natural law, concept, conception, construct
- usage: a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
- 4. law, law of nature, concept, conception, construct
- usage: a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature; "the laws of thermodynamics"
- 5. jurisprudence, law, legal philosophy, philosophy
- usage: the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
- 6. law, practice of law, learned profession
- usage: the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system; "he studied law at Yale"
- 7. police, police force, constabulary, law, force, personnel, law enforcement agency
- usage: the force of policemen and officers; "the law came looking for him"
See also: law (Dictionary)