Synonyms for lecture
- 1. lecture, public lecture, talk, address, speech
- usage: a speech that is open to the public; "he attended a lecture on telecommunications"
- 2. lecture, speech, talking to, rebuke, reproof, reproval, reprehension, reprimand
- usage: a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"; "the teacher gave him a talking to"
- 3. lecture, lecturing, teaching, instruction, pedagogy
- usage: teaching by giving a discourse on some subject (typically to a class)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. lecture, talk, teach, learn, instruct
- usage: deliver a lecture or talk; "She will talk at Rutgers next week"; "Did you ever lecture at Harvard?"
- 2. call on the carpet, take to task, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"