Synonyms for lie
- 1. lie, prevarication, falsehood, falsity, untruth
- usage: a statement that deviates from or perverts the truth
- 2. Lie, Trygve Lie, Trygve Halvden Lie
- usage: Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United Nations (1896-1968)
- 3. lie, position, place
- usage: position or manner in which something is situated
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. lie, be
- usage: be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- 2. lie
- usage: be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position; "The sick man lay in bed all day"; "the books are lying on the shelf"
- 3. dwell, consist, lie, lie in, exist, be
- usage: originate (in); "The problems dwell in the social injustices in this country"
- 4. lie, be
- usage: be and remain in a particular state or condition; "lie dormant"
- 5. lie, misinform, mislead
- usage: tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive; "Don't lie to your parents"; "She lied when she told me she was only 29"
- 6. lie, rest, be
- usage: have a place in relation to something else; "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- 7. lie down, lie, change posture
- usage: assume a reclining position; "lie down on the bed until you feel better"
See also: lie (Dictionary)