Synonyms for life
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. life, being, beingness, existence
- usage: a characteristic state or mode of living; "social life"; "city life"; "real life"
- 2. life, living, experience
- usage: the experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities; "he could no longer cope with the complexities of life"
- 3. life, being, beingness, existence
- usage: the course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living; "he hoped for a new life in Australia"; "he wanted to live his own life without interference from others"
- 4. animation, life, living, aliveness, being, beingness, existence
- usage: the condition of living or the state of being alive; "while there's life there's hope"; "life depends on many chemical and physical processes"
- 5. life, lifetime, life-time, lifespan, time period, period of time, period
- usage: the period during which something is functional (as between birth and death); "the battery had a short life"; "he lived a long and happy life"
- 6. life, time period, period of time, period
- usage: the period between birth and the present time; "I have known him all his life"
- 7. life, time period, period of time, period
- usage: the period from the present until death; "he appointed himself emperor for life"
- 8. life, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a living person; "his heroism saved a life"
- 9. liveliness, life, spirit, sprightliness, animation, spiritedness, invigoration, brio, vivification
- usage: animation and energy in action or expression; "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
- 10. life, living thing, animate thing
- usage: living things collectively; "the oceans are teeming with life"
- 11. life, organic phenomenon
- usage: the organic phenomenon that distinguishes living organisms from nonliving ones; "there is no life on the moon"
- 12. biography, life, life story, life history, history, account, chronicle, story
- usage: an account of the series of events making up a person's life
- 13. life, motivation, motive, need
- usage: a motive for living; "pottery was his life"
- 14. life sentence, life, prison term, sentence, time
- usage: a prison term lasting as long as the prisoner lives; "he got life for killing the guard"