Synonyms for lot
- 1. batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, large indefinite quantity, large indefinite amount
- usage: (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"; "it must have cost plenty"; "a slew of journalists"; "a wad of money"
- 2. lot, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: a parcel of land having fixed boundaries; "he bought a lot on the lake"
- 3. set, circle, band, lot, social group
- usage: an unofficial association of people or groups; "the smart set goes there"; "they were an angry lot"
- 4. fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion, condition
- usage: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
- 5. draw, lot, object, physical object
- usage: anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random; "the luck of the draw"; "they drew lots for it"
- 6. bunch, lot, caboodle, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: any collection in its entirety; "she bought the whole caboodle"
- 7. Lot
- usage: (Old Testament) nephew of Abraham; God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah but chose to spare Lot and his family who were told to flee without looking back at the destruction
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. lot, divide, split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up
- usage: divide into lots, as of land, for example
- 2. distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out, give
- usage: administer or bestow, as in small portions; "administer critical remarks to everyone present"; "dole out some money"; "shell out pocket money for the children"; "deal a blow to someone"; "the machine dispenses soft drinks"
See also: lot (Dictionary)