Synonyms for melancholy
- 1. melancholy, sadness, unhappiness
- usage: a feeling of thoughtful sadness
- 2. melancholy, depression
- usage: a constitutional tendency to be gloomy and depressed
- 3. black bile, melancholy, liquid body substance, bodily fluid, body fluid, humor, humour
- usage: a humor that was once believed to be secreted by the kidneys or spleen and to cause sadness and melancholy
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. melancholy, melancholic, sad (vs. glad)
- usage: characterized by or causing or expressing sadness; "growing more melancholy every hour"; "her melancholic smile"; "we acquainted him with the melancholy truth"
- 2. somber, sombre, melancholy, depressing (vs. cheerful), cheerless, uncheerful
- usage: grave or even gloomy in character; "solemn and mournful music"; "a suit of somber black"; "a somber mood"