Synonyms for need
- 1. need, demand, condition, status
- usage: a condition requiring relief; "she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
- 2. need, want, necessity, essential, requirement, requisite, necessary
- usage: anything that is necessary but lacking; "he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"; "I tried to supply his wants"
- 3. motivation, motive, need, psychological feature
- usage: the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior; "we did not understand his motivation"; "he acted with the best of motives"
- 4. indigence, need, penury, pauperism, pauperization, poverty, poorness, impoverishment
- usage: a state of extreme poverty or destitution; "their indigence appalled him"; "a general state of need exists among the homeless"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
- 2. want, need, require, be
- usage: have need of; "This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
- 3. need
- usage: have or feel a need for; "always needing friends and money"
See also: need (Dictionary)