Synonyms for ordain
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. ordain, enact, decree
- usage: order by virtue of superior authority; decree; "The King ordained the persecution and expulsion of the Jews"; "the legislature enacted this law in 1985"
- 2. ordain, consecrate, ordinate, order, invest, vest, enthrone
- usage: appoint to a clerical posts; "he was ordained in the Church"
- 3. ordain, invest, vest, enthrone
- usage: invest with ministerial or priestly authority; "The minister was ordained only last month"
- 4. ordain, decree
- usage: issue an order