Synonyms for plague
- 1. plague, pestilence, pest, pestis, epidemic disease
- usage: a serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by Yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
- 2. plague, pestilence, pest, epidemic disease
- usage: any epidemic disease with a high death rate
- 3. infestation, plague, swarm, cloud
- usage: a swarm of insects that attack plants; "a plague of grasshoppers"
- 4. plague, calamity, catastrophe, disaster, tragedy, cataclysm
- usage: any large scale calamity (especially when thought to be sent by God)
- 5. plague, annoyance, bother, botheration, pain, infliction, pain in the neck, pain in the ass
- usage: an annoyance; "those children are a damn plague"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. blight, plague, afflict, smite
- usage: cause to suffer a blight; "Too much rain may blight the garden with mold"
- 2. harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke, annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil
- usage: annoy continually or chronically; "He is known to harry his staff when he is overworked"; "This man harasses his female co-workers"