Synonyms for plunge
- 1. dip, plunge, swimming, swim
- usage: a brief swim in water
- 2. plunge, drop, fall
- usage: a steep and rapid fall
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. immerse, plunge, penetrate, perforate
- usage: thrust or throw into; "Immerse yourself in hot water"
- 2. dive, plunge, plunk, descend, fall, go down, come down
- usage: drop steeply; "the stock market plunged"
- 3. plunge, dart, dash, scoot, scud, flash, shoot
- usage: dash violently or with great speed or impetuosity; "She plunged at it eagerly"
- 4. plunge, launch, get down, begin, get, start out, start, set about, set out, commence
- usage: begin with vigor; "He launched into a long diatribe"; "She plunged into a dangerous adventure"
- 5. plunge, immerse
- usage: cause to be immersed; "The professor plunged his students into the study of the Italian text"
- 6. plunge, dump, drop
- usage: fall abruptly; "It plunged to the bottom of the well"
- 7. dunk, dip, souse, plunge, douse, immerse, plunge
- usage: immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution"; "dip the brush into the paint"
- 8. steep, immerse, engulf, plunge, engross, absorb, soak up, concentrate, focus, center, centre, pore, rivet
- usage: devote (oneself) fully to; "He immersed himself into his studies"