Synonyms for poise
- 1. poise, unit of viscosity
- usage: a cgs unit of dynamic viscosity equal to one dyne-second per square centimeter; the viscosity of a fluid in which a force of one dyne per square centimeter maintains a velocity of 1 centimeter per second
- 2. poise, equilibrium
- usage: a state of being balanced in a stable equilibrium
- 3. aplomb, assuredness, cool, poise, sang-froid, composure, calm, calmness, equanimity
- usage: great coolness and composure under strain; "keep your cool"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. poise, hover
- usage: be motionless, in suspension; "The bird poised for a few moments before it attacked"
- 2. brace, poise, fix, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, set
- usage: prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
- 3. poise, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: cause to be balanced or suspended
- 4. poise, balance, hold, carry, bear
- usage: hold or carry in equilibrium
See also: poise (Dictionary)