Synonyms for poised
- 1. poise, hover
- usage: be motionless, in suspension; "The bird poised for a few moments before it attacked"
- 2. brace, poise, fix, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, set
- usage: prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
- 3. poise, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: cause to be balanced or suspended
- 4. poise, balance, hold, carry, bear
- usage: hold or carry in equilibrium
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. poised, balanced (vs. unbalanced)
- usage: marked by balance or equilibrium and readiness for action; "a gull in poised flight"; "George's poised hammer"
- 2. collected, equanimous, poised, self-collected, self-contained, self-possessed, composed (vs. discomposed)
- usage: in full control of your faculties; "the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination"; "perfectly poised and sure of himself"; "more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen"; "strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble"