Synonyms for popping
- 1. pop, popping, sound
- usage: a sharp explosive sound as from a gunshot or drawing a cork
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. protrude, pop, pop out, bulge, bulge out, bug out, come out, change shape, change form, deform
- usage: bulge outward; "His eyes popped"
- 2. pop, hit
- usage: hit a pop-fly; "He popped out to shortstop"
- 3. pop, sound, go
- usage: make a sharp explosive noise; "The cork of the champagne bottle popped"
- 4. pop, fire, discharge
- usage: fire a weapon with a loud explosive noise; "The soldiers were popping"
- 5. pop, sound
- usage: cause to make a sharp explosive sound; "He popped the champagne bottle"
- 6. crop up, pop up, pop, appear
- usage: appear suddenly or unexpectedly; "The farm popped into view as we turned the corner"; "He suddenly popped up out of nowhere"
- 7. pop, throw, thrust
- usage: put or thrust suddenly and forcefully; "pop the pizza into the microwave oven"; "He popped the petit-four into his mouth"
- 8. pop, let go of, let go, release, relinquish
- usage: release suddenly; "pop the clutch"
- 9. pop, hit
- usage: hit or strike; "He popped me on the head"
- 10. toss off, pop, bolt down, belt down, pour down, down, drink down, kill, drink, imbibe
- usage: drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner"; "She killed a bottle of brandy that night"; "They popped a few beer after work"
- 11. pop, inject
- usage: take drugs, especially orally; "The man charged with murder popped a valium to calm his nerves"
- 12. pop, collapse, burst
- usage: cause to burst with a lound, explosive sound; "The child popped the balloon"
- 13. pop, burst, split, break open
- usage: burst open with a sharp, explosive sound; "The balloon popped"; "This popcorn pops quickly in the microwave oven"