Synonyms for population
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. population, people
- usage: the people who inhabit a territory or state; "the population seemed to be well fed and clothed"
- 2. population, group, grouping
- usage: a group of organisms of the same species inhabiting a given area; "they hired hunters to keep down the deer population"
- 3. population, universe, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: (statistics) the entire aggregation of items from which samples can be drawn; "it is an estimate of the mean of the population"
- 4. population, integer, whole number
- usage: the number of inhabitants (either the total number or the number of a particular race or class) in a given place (country or city etc.); "people come and go, but the population of this town has remained approximately constant for the past decade"; "the African-American population of Salt Lake City has been increasing"
- 5. population, colonization, colonisation, settlement
- usage: the act of populating (causing to live in a place); "he deplored the population of colonies with convicted criminals"