Synonyms for portentous
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. portentous, prodigious, significant (vs. insignificant), important
- usage: of momentous or ominous significance; "such a portentous...monster raised all my curiosity"- Herman Melville; "a prodigious vision"
- 2. fateful, foreboding(prenominal), portentous, prophetic (vs. unprophetic), prophetical
- usage: of ominous significance
- 3. grandiloquent, overblown, pompous, pontifical, portentous, pretentious (vs. unpretentious)
- usage: puffed up with vanity; "a grandiloquent and boastful manner"; "overblown oratory"; "a pompous speech"; "pseudo-scientific gobbledygook and pontifical hooey"- Newsweek