Synonyms for position
- 1. position, place, point
- usage: the particular portion of space occupied by something; "he put the lamp back in its place"
- 2. military position, position, point
- usage: a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
- 3. position, view, perspective, orientation
- usage: a way of regarding situations or topics etc.; "consider what follows from the positivist view"
- 4. position, posture, attitude, bodily property
- usage: the arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
- 5. status, position, state
- usage: the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society; "he had the status of a minor"; "the novel attained the status of a classic"; "atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life"
- 6. position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation, occupation, business, job, line of work, line
- usage: a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
- 7. position, spatial relation, relation
- usage: the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated; "the position of the hands on the clock"; "he specified the spatial relations of every piece of furniture on the stage"
- 8. position, point
- usage: the appropriate or customary location; "the cars were in position"
- 9. position, role
- usage: (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
- 10. placement, location, locating, position, positioning, emplacement, activity
- usage: the act of putting something in a certain place
- 11. situation, position, condition, status
- usage: a condition or position in which you find yourself; "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
- 12. position, stance, posture, attitude, mental attitude
- usage: a rationalized mental attitude
- 13. side, position, opinion, view
- usage: an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question"
- 14. place, position, item, point
- usage: an item on a list or in a sequence; "in the second place"; "moved from third to fifth position"
- 15. stead, position, place, lieu, function, office, part, role
- usage: the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another; "can you go in my stead?"; "took his place"; "in lieu of"
- 16. position, assumption
- usage: the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. position, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
- 2. put, set, place, pose, position, lay, move, displace
- usage: put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"