Synonyms for pounding
- 1. pounding, buffeting, blow, bump
- usage: repeated heavy blows
- 2. throb, throbbing, pounding, pulse, pulsation, heartbeat, beat
- usage: an instance of rapid strong pulsation (of the heart); "he felt a throbbing in his head"
- 3. hammer, pound, hammering, pounding, blow
- usage: the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows); "the sudden hammer of fists caught him off guard"; "the pounding of feet on the hallway"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. thump, pound, poke, hit
- usage: hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument; "the salesman pounded the door knocker"; "a bible-thumping Southern Baptist"
- 2. ram, ram down, pound, thrust
- usage: strike or drive against with a heavy impact; "ram the gate with a sledgehammer"; "pound on the door"
- 3. lumber, pound, walk
- usage: move heavily or clumsily; "The heavy man lumbered across the room"
- 4. beat, pound, thump, move
- usage: move rhythmically; "Her heart was beating fast"
- 5. pound, pound off, partition, partition off
- usage: partition off into compartments; "The locks pound the water of the canal"
- 6. pound, pound up, restrain, confine, hold
- usage: shut up or confine in any enclosure or within any bounds or limits; "The prisoners are safely pounded"
- 7. impound, pound, restrain, confine, hold
- usage: place or shut up in a pound; "pound the cows so they don't stray"
- 8. pound, break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise
- usage: break down and crush by beating, as with a pestle; "pound the roots with a heavy flat stone"