Synonyms for preceding
- 1. predate, precede, forego, forgo, antecede, antedate
- usage: be earlier in time; go back further; "Stone tools precede bronze tools"
- 2. precede, predate, lie
- usage: come before; "Most English adjectives precede the noun they modify"
- 3. precede, come before
- usage: be the predecessor of; "Bill preceded John in the long line of Susan's husbands"
- 4. precede, lead, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move ahead (of others) in time or space
- 5. precede, preface, premise, introduce, state, say, tell
- usage: furnish with a preface or introduction; "She always precedes her lectures with a joke"; "He prefaced his lecture with a critical remark about the institution"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. preceding(prenominal) (vs. succeeding), above, above-mentioned, above-named, foregoing(prenominal), introductory, prefatorial, prefatory, precedent, premedical, preparatory, preparative, propaedeutic, previous(prenominal), old, antecedent
- usage: existing or coming before
- 2. past(prenominal), preceding(prenominal), retiring(prenominal), outgoing (vs. incoming)
- usage: of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office; "a retiring member of the board"