Synonyms for preempt
- 1. preemptive bid, pre-empt, preempt, bid, bidding
- usage: a high bid that is intended to prevent the opposing players from bidding
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. preempt, get, acquire
- usage: acquire for oneself before others can do so
- 2. preempt, displace, supplant, replace, supersede, supervene upon, supercede
- usage: take the place of or have precedence over; "live broadcast of the presidential debate preempts the regular news hour"; "discussion of the emergency situation will preempt the lecture by the professor"
- 3. preempt, get, acquire
- usage: gain possession of by prior right or opportunity, especially so as to obtain the right to buy (land)
- 4. preempt, bid, call
- usage: make a preemptive bid in the game of bridge