Synonyms for preoccupied
- 1. preoccupy, control, command
- usage: engage or engross the interest or attention of beforehand or occupy urgently or obsessively; "His work preoccupies him"; "The matter preoccupies her completely--she cannot think of anything else"
- 2. preoccupy, assume, usurp, seize, take over, arrogate
- usage: occupy or take possession of beforehand or before another or appropriate for use in advance; "the army preoccupied the hills"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. bemused, deep in thought(predicate), lost(predicate), preoccupied, thoughtful (vs. thoughtless)
- usage: deeply absorbed in thought; "as distant and bemused as a professor listening to the prattling of his freshman class"; "lost in thought"; "a preoccupied frown"
- 2. haunted, obsessed, preoccupied, taken up(predicate), concerned (vs. unconcerned)
- usage: having or showing excessive or compulsive concern with something; "became more and more haunted by the stupid riddle"; "was absolutely obsessed with the girl"; "got no help from his wife who was preoccupied with the children"; "he was taken up in worry for the old woman"