Synonyms for pretend
- 1. make-believe, pretend, pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning
- usage: the enactment of a pretense; "it was just pretend"
- 1. feign, sham, pretend, affect, dissemble, misrepresent, belie
- usage: make believe with the intent to deceive; "He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"
- 2. dissemble, pretend, act
- usage: behave unnaturally or affectedly; "She's just acting"
- 3. pretend, claim, lay claim, arrogate
- usage: put forward a claim and assert right or possession of; "pretend the title of King"
- 4. guess, venture, pretend, hazard, speculate
- usage: put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation; "I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again"; "I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong"
- 5. make, pretend, make believe, act, play, represent
- usage: represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like; "She makes like an actress"
- 6. profess, pretend, claim
- usage: state insincerely; "He professed innocence but later admitted his guilt"; "She pretended not to have known the suicide bomber"; "She pretends to be an expert on wine"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. make-believe, pretend, unreal (vs. real)
- usage: imagined as in a play; "the make-believe world of theater"; "play money"; "dangling their legs in the water to catch pretend fish"