Synonyms for principle
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. principle, rule, generalization, generalisation, generality
- usage: a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct; "their principles of composition characterized all their works"
- 2. principle, value
- usage: a rule or standard especially of good behavior; "a man of principle"; "he will not violate his principles"
- 3. principle, law, natural law
- usage: a basic truth or law or assumption; "the principles of democracy"
- 4. principle, rule, law, law of nature
- usage: a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system; "the principle of the conservation of mass"; "the principle of jet propulsion"; "the right-hand rule for inductive fields"
- 5. principle, precept, rule, prescript
- usage: rule of personal conduct
- 6. rationale, principle, explanation
- usage: (law) an explanation of the fundamental reasons (especially an explanation of the working of some device in terms of laws of nature); "the rationale for capital punishment"; "the principles of internal-combustion engines"