Synonyms for private
- 1. private, buck private, common soldier, enlisted man
- usage: an enlisted man of the lowest rank in the Army or Marines; "our prisoner was just a private and knew nothing of value"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. private (vs. public), clannish, cliquish, clubby, snobbish, snobby, cloistered, reclusive, secluded, sequestered, close, closed-door, confidential, secret, confidential, insular, nonpublic, offstage, backstage, one-on-one, privy, secluded, secret, semiprivate, tete-a-tete, head-to-head, toffee-nosed, esoteric, personal
- usage: confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy; "a private place"; "private discussions"; "private lessons"; "a private club"; "a private secretary"; "private property"; "the former President is now a private citizen"; "public figures struggle to maintain a private life"
- 2. private, personal (vs. impersonal)
- usage: concerning things deeply private and personal; "private correspondence"; "private family matters"
- 3. individual(prenominal), private, personal (vs. impersonal)
- usage: concerning one person exclusively; "we all have individual cars"; "each room has a private bath"
- 4. secret, private, inward (vs. outward)
- usage: not expressed; "secret (or private) thoughts"