Synonyms for promote
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. promote, advance, boost, further, encourage, support, back up
- usage: contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
- 2. promote, upgrade, advance, kick upstairs, raise, elevate, delegate, designate, depute, assign
- usage: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
- 3. advertise, advertize, promote, push, praise
- usage: make publicity for; try to sell (a product); "The salesman is aggressively pushing the new computer model"; "The company is heavily advertizing their new laptops"
- 4. promote, change
- usage: be changed for a superior chess or checker piece
- 5. promote, play
- usage: change a pawn for a better piece by advancing it to the eighth row, or change a checker piece for a more valuable piece by moving it to the row closest to your opponent