Synonyms for proper
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. proper (vs. improper), becoming, comely, comme il faut, decent, decorous, seemly, correct, right, correct, right, fitting, halal, kosher, priggish, prim, prissy, prudish, puritanical, square-toed, straitlaced, strait-laced, straightlaced, straight-laced, tight-laced, victorian, appropriate, correct#1, right, decent, decorous, right
- usage: marked by suitability or rightness or appropriateness; "proper medical treatment"; "proper manners"
- 2. proper(prenominal), real(prenominal) (vs. unreal)
- usage: having all the qualities typical of the thing specified; "wanted a proper dinner; not just a snack"; "he finally has a proper job"
- 3. proper(postnominal), specific (vs. general) (vs. nonspecific)
- usage: limited to the thing specified; "the city proper"; "his claim is connected with the deed proper"
- 4. proper, right, appropriate (vs. inappropriate)
- usage: appropriate for a condition or purpose or occasion or a person's character, needs; "everything in its proper place"; "the right man for the job"; "she is not suitable for the position"