Synonyms for proportion
- 1. proportion, quotient
- usage: the quotient obtained when the magnitude of a part is divided by the magnitude of the whole
- 2. proportion, dimension, magnitude
- usage: magnitude or extent; "a building of vast proportions"
- 3. symmetry, proportion, balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance
- usage: balance among the parts of something
- 4. proportion, ratio, magnitude relation, quantitative relation
- usage: the relation between things (or parts of things) with respect to their comparative quantity, magnitude, or degree; "an inordinate proportion of the book is given over to quotations"; "a dry martini has a large proportion of gin"
- 5. proportion, proportionality, balance, placement, arrangement
- usage: harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design); "in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. proportion, harmonize, harmonise
- usage: give pleasant proportions to; "harmonize a building with those surrounding it"
- 2. proportion, adjust, set, correct
- usage: adjust in size relative to other things