Synonyms for provide
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. supply, provide, render, furnish, give
- usage: give something useful or necessary to; "We provided the room with an electrical heater"
- 2. provide, supply, ply, cater, give
- usage: give what is desired or needed, especially support, food or sustenance; "The hostess provided lunch for all the guests"
- 3. provide, stipulate, qualify, condition, specify
- usage: determine (what is to happen in certain contingencies), especially by including a proviso condition or stipulation; "The will provides that each child should receive half of the money"; "The Constitution provides for the right to free speech"
- 4. put up, provide, offer, engage, wage
- usage: mount or put up; "put up a good fight"; "offer resistance"
- 5. leave, allow for, allow, provide, yield, give, afford
- usage: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain; "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
- 6. provide, bring home the bacon, support
- usage: supply means of subsistence; earn a living; "He provides for his large family by working three jobs"; "Women nowadays not only take care of the household but also bring home the bacon"
- 7. provide, fix, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, set
- usage: take measures in preparation for; "provide for the proper care of the passengers on the cruise ship"