Synonyms for provoking
- 1. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke, make, create
- usage: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
- 2. provoke, evoke, call forth, kick up, cause, do, make
- usage: evoke or provoke to appear or occur; "Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
- 3. provoke, stimulate, challenge
- usage: provide the needed stimulus for
- 4. harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke, annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil
- usage: annoy continually or chronically; "He is known to harry his staff when he is overworked"; "This man harasses his female co-workers"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. agitative, agitating, provoking, provocative (vs. unprovocative)
- usage: causing or tending to cause anger or resentment; "a provoking delay at the airport"