Synonyms for pure
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. pure (vs. impure), axenic, clean, fresh, clean, clear, light, unclouded, fine, native, plain, sheer, unmingled, unmixed, pristine, sublimate, unadulterated, unalloyed, uncontaminated, unpolluted, virginal, clean, processed
- usage: free of extraneous elements of any kind; "pure air and water"; "pure gold"; "pure primary colors"; "the violin's pure and lovely song"; "pure tones"; "pure oxygen"
- 2. arrant(prenominal), complete(prenominal), consummate(prenominal), double-dyed(prenominal), everlasting(prenominal), gross(prenominal), perfect(prenominal), pure(prenominal), sodding(prenominal), stark(prenominal), staring(prenominal), thoroughgoing(prenominal), utter(prenominal), unadulterated, unmitigated (vs. mitigated)
- usage: without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers; "an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense"; "the unadulterated truth"
- 3. saturated (vs. unsaturated), pure, intense, vivid
- usage: (of color) being chromatically pure; not diluted with white or grey or black
- 4. pure, harmonious (vs. inharmonious)
- usage: free from discordant qualities
- 5. pure, theoretical (vs. applied)
- usage: concerned with theory and data rather than practice; opposed to applied; "pure science"
- 6. pure (vs. impure), immaculate, undefiled, white, chaste
- usage: (used of persons or behaviors) having no faults; sinless; "I felt pure and sweet as a new baby"- Sylvia Plath; "pure as the driven snow"
- 7. pure, vestal, virgin, virginal, virtuous, chaste (vs. unchaste)
- usage: in a state of sexual virginity; "pure and vestal modesty"; "a spinster or virgin lady"; "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal"
See also: pure (Dictionary)