Synonyms for puritan
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. Puritan, Protestant
- usage: a member of a group of English Protestants who in the 16th and 17th centuries thought that the Protestant Reformation under Elizabeth was incomplete and advocated the simplification and regulation of forms of worship
- 2. puritan, abstainer, ascetic
- usage: someone who adheres to strict religious principles; someone opposed to sensual pleasures
- 3. prude, puritan, unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- usage: a person excessively concerned about propriety and decorum