Synonyms for put-down
- 1. put-down, squelch, squelcher, takedown, derision
- usage: a crushing remark
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. set down, put down, place down, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place; "set down your bags here"
- 2. lay, put down, repose, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: put in a horizontal position; "lay the books on the table"; "lay the patient carefully onto the bed"
- 3. land, put down, bring down, arrive, get, come
- usage: cause to come to the ground; "the pilot managed to land the airplane safely"
- 4. take down, degrade, disgrace, demean, put down, humiliate, mortify, chagrin, humble, abase
- usage: reduce in worth or character, usually verbally; "She tends to put down younger women colleagues"; "His critics took him down after the lecture"
- 5. drop, drop off, set down, put down, unload, discharge, deliver
- usage: leave or unload; "unload the cargo"; "drop off the passengers at the hotel"
- 6. destroy, put down, kill
- usage: put (an animal) to death; "The customs agents destroyed the dog that was found to be rabid"; "the sick cat had to be put down"
- 7. write down, set down, get down, put down, write
- usage: put down in writing; of texts, musical compositions, etc.
- 8. record, enter, put down, save, preserve
- usage: make a record of; set down in permanent form