Synonyms for quench
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. quench, slake, allay, assuage, meet, satisfy, fill, fulfill, fulfil
- usage: satisfy (thirst); "The cold water quenched his thirst"
- 2. snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench
- usage: put out, as of fires, flames, or lights; "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles"
- 3. quench, restrain, suppress, keep, keep back, hold back
- usage: electronics: suppress (sparking) when the current is cut off in an inductive circuit, or suppress (an oscillation or discharge) in a component or device
- 4. squelch, quell, quench, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: suppress or crush completely; "squelch any sign of dissent"; "quench a rebellion"
- 5. quench, reduce, cut down, cut back, trim, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down
- usage: reduce the degree of (luminescence or phosphorescence) in (excited molecules or a material) by adding a suitable substance
- 6. quench, cool, chill, cool down
- usage: cool by plunging into cold water; "quench metal"