Synonyms for ragged
- 1. torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate, harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
- usage: treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
- 2. annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil, displease
- usage: cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
- 3. rag, play, spiel
- usage: play in ragtime; "rag that old tune"
- 4. tease, razz, rag, cod, tantalize, tantalise, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride, mock, bemock
- usage: harass with persistent criticism or carping; "The children teased the new teacher"; "Don't ride me so hard over my failure"; "His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
- 5. call on the carpet, take to task, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
- 6. rag, break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise
- usage: break into lumps before sorting; "rag ore"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. ragged, worn (vs. new)
- usage: being or dressed in clothes that are worn or torn; "clothes as ragged as a scarecrow's"; "a ragged tramp"
- 2. ragged, tired (vs. rested)
- usage: worn out from stress or strain; "run ragged"
- 3. ragged, uneven (vs. even)
- usage: having an irregular outline; "text set with ragged right margins"; "herded the class into a ragged line"