Synonyms for rare
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. rare, uncommon (vs. common)
- usage: not widely known; especially valued for its uncommonness; "a rare word"; "rare books"
- 2. rare, infrequent (vs. frequent)
- usage: recurring only at long intervals; "a rare appearance"; "total eclipses are rare events"
- 3. rare, scarce (vs. abundant)
- usage: not widely distributed; "rare herbs"; "rare patches of green in the desert"
- 4. rare, rarefied, rarified, thin (vs. thick)
- usage: having low density; "rare gasses"; "lightheaded from the rarefied mountain air"
- 5. rare, uncommon, extraordinary (vs. ordinary)
- usage: marked by an uncommon quality; especially superlative or extreme of its kind; "what is so rare as a day in June"-J.R.Lowell; "a rare skill"; "an uncommon sense of humor"; "she was kind to an uncommon degree"
- 6. rare, raw (vs. cooked)
- usage: (of meat) cooked a short time; still red inside; "rare roast beef"
See also: rare (Dictionary)