Synonyms for reaching
- 1. reach, reaching, stretch, motion, movement, move, motility
- usage: the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
- 2. arrival, reaching, accomplishment, achievement
- usage: accomplishment of an objective
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain
- usage: reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
- 2. reach, hit, attain, arrive, get, come
- usage: reach a point in time, or a certain state or level; "The thermometer hit 100 degrees"; "This car can reach a speed of 140 miles per hour"
- 3. reach, reach out, move
- usage: move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense; "Government reaches out to the people"
- 4. reach, get through, get hold of, contact, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: be in or establish communication with; "Our advertisements reach millions"; "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
- 5. achieve, accomplish, attain, reach, succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- usage: to gain with effort; "she achieved her goal despite setbacks"
- 6. reach, extend to, touch, be
- usage: to extend as far as; "The sunlight reached the wall"; "Can he reach?" "The chair must not touch the wall"
- 7. reach, make, get to, progress to, achieve, accomplish, attain, reach
- usage: reach a goal, e.g., "make the first team"; "We made it!"; "She may not make the grade"
- 8. pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give, transfer
- usage: place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
- 9. strive, reach, strain, tug, labor, labour, push, drive
- usage: to exert much effort or energy; "straining our ears to hear"