Synonyms for rebel
- 1. Rebel, Reb, Johnny Reb, Johnny, greyback, Confederate soldier
- usage: `Johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War; `greyback' derived from their grey Confederate uniforms
- 2. insurgent, insurrectionist, freedom fighter, rebel, revolutionist, revolutionary, subversive, subverter, reformer, reformist, crusader, social reformer, meliorist
- usage: a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority (especially in the hope of improving conditions)
- 3. maverick, rebel, nonconformist, recusant
- usage: someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. rebel, arise, rise, rise up, protest, resist, dissent
- usage: take part in a rebellion; renounce a former allegiance
- 2. rebel, renegade, protest, resist, dissent
- usage: break with established customs
See also: rebel (Dictionary)