Synonyms for red
- 1. red, redness, chromatic color, chromatic colour, spectral color, spectral colour
- usage: the quality or state of the chromatic color resembling the hue of blood
- 2. Red, Red River, river
- usage: a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows eastward from Texas along the southern boundary of Oklahoma and through Louisiana
- 3. Bolshevik, Marxist, pinko, red, bolshie, radical
- usage: emotionally charged terms used to refer to extreme radicals or revolutionaries
- 4. loss, red ink, red, sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money
- usage: the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue; "the company operated at a loss last year"; "the company operated in the red last year"
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. red, reddish, ruddy, blood-red, carmine, cerise, cherry, cherry-red, crimson, ruby, ruby-red, scarlet, chromatic (vs. achromatic)
- usage: having any of numerous bright or strong colors reminiscent of the color of blood or cherries or tomatoes or rubies
- 2. crimson, red, violent, bloody (vs. bloodless)
- usage: characterized by violence or bloodshed; "writes of crimson deeds and barbaric days"- Andrea Parke; "fann'd by Conquest's crimson wing"- Thomas Gray; "convulsed with red rage"- Hudson Strode
- 3. crimson, red, reddened, red-faced, flushed, colored (vs. uncolored), coloured, colorful
- usage: (especially of the face) reddened or suffused with or as if with blood from emotion or exertion; "crimson with fury"; "turned red from exertion"; "with puffy reddened eyes"; "red-faced and violent"; "flushed (or crimson) with embarrassment"
- 4. red, bloody (vs. bloodless)
- usage: red with or characterized by blood; "waving our red weapons o'er our heads"- Shakespeare; "The Red Badge of Courage"; "the red rules of tooth and claw"- P.B.Sears
See also: red (Dictionary)