Synonyms for release
- 1. release, merchandise, ware, product
- usage: merchandise issued for sale or public showing (especially a record or film); "a new release from the London Symphony Orchestra"
- 2. liberation, release, freeing, accomplishment, achievement
- usage: the act of liberating someone or something
- 3. release, natural process, natural action, action, activity
- usage: a process that liberates or discharges something; "there was a sudden release of oxygen"; "the release of iodine from the thyroid gland"
- 4. handout, press release, release, announcement, promulgation
- usage: an announcement distributed to members of the press in order to supplement or replace an oral presentation
- 5. dismissal, dismission, discharge, firing, liberation, release, sack, sacking, termination, ending, conclusion
- usage: the termination of someone's employment (leaving them free to depart)
- 6. passing, loss, departure, exit, expiration, going, release, death, decease, expiry
- usage: euphemistic expressions for death; "thousands mourned his passing"
- 7. acquittance, release, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a legal document evidencing the discharge of a debt or obligation
- 8. release, button, device
- usage: a device that when pressed will release part of a mechanism
- 9. release, outlet, vent, activity
- usage: activity that frees or expresses creative energy or emotion; "she had no other outlet for her feelings"; "he gave vent to his anger"
- 10. spill, spillage, release, flow, stream
- usage: the act of allowing a fluid to escape
- 11. release, waiver, discharge, relinquishment, relinquishing
- usage: a formal written statement of relinquishment
- 12. release, tone ending, termination, ending, conclusion
- usage: (music) the act or manner of terminating a musical phrase or tone
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. let go of, let go, release, relinquish
- usage: release, as from one's grip; "Let go of the door handle, please!"; "relinquish your grip on the rope--you won't fall"
- 2. free, liberate, release, unloose, unloosen, loose
- usage: grant freedom to; free from confinement
- 3. turn, release, transmit, transfer, transport, channel, channelize, channelise
- usage: let (something) fall or spill from a container; "turn the flour onto a plate"
- 4. publish, bring out, put out, issue, release, publicize, publicise, air, bare
- usage: prepare and issue for public distribution or sale; "publish a magazine or newspaper"
- 5. exhaust, discharge, expel, eject, release
- usage: eliminate (a substance); "combustion products are exhausted in the engine"; "the plant releases a gas"
- 6. secrete, release, exude, exudate, transude, ooze out, ooze
- usage: generate and separate from cells or bodily fluids; "secrete digestive juices"; "release a hormone into the blood stream"
- 7. free, release, issue, supply
- usage: make (information) available for publication; "release the list with the names of the prisoners"
- 8. release, relinquish, resign, free, give up, pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give
- usage: part with a possession or right; "I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest"; "resign a claim to the throne"
- 9. release, free, liberate, generate, bring forth
- usage: release (gas or energy) as a result of a chemical reaction or physical decomposition
- 10. unblock, unfreeze, free, release, issue, supply
- usage: make (assets) available; "release the holdings in the dictator's bank account"