Synonyms for relieve
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. relieve, alleviate, palliate, assuage, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: provide physical relief, as from pain; "This pill will relieve your headaches"
- 2. take over, relieve, free, discharge
- usage: free someone temporarily from his or her obligations
- 3. exempt, relieve, free
- usage: grant relief or an exemption from a rule or requirement to; "She exempted me from the exam"
- 4. still, allay, relieve, ease, comfort, soothe, console, solace
- usage: lessen the intensity of or calm; "The news eased my conscience"; "still the fears"
- 5. salvage, salve, relieve, save, rescue, deliver
- usage: save from ruin, destruction, or harm
- 6. unbosom, relieve, confide
- usage: relieve oneself of troubling information
- 7. remedy, relieve, treat, care for
- usage: provide relief for; "remedy his illness"
- 8. relieve, rid, free, disembarrass
- usage: free from a burden, evil, or distress
- 9. relieve, take
- usage: take by stealing; "The thief relieved me of $100"
- 10. excuse, relieve, let off, exempt, absolve, justify, free
- usage: grant exemption or release to; "Please excuse me from this class"
- 11. relieve, lighten, mitigate
- usage: alleviate or remove (pressure or stress) or make less oppressive; "relieve the pressure and the stress"; "lighten the burden of caring for her elderly parents"