Synonyms for remit
- 1. remit, topic, subject, issue, matter
- usage: the topic that a person, committee, or piece of research is expected to deal with or has authority to deal with; "they set up a group with a remit to suggest ways for strengthening family life"
- 2. remission, remitment, remit, referral
- usage: (law) the act of remitting (especially the referral of a law case to another court)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. remit, pay
- usage: send (money) in payment; "remit $25"
- 2. postpone, prorogue, hold over, put over, table, shelve, set back, defer, remit, put off, delay
- usage: hold back to a later time; "let's postpone the exam"
- 3. remit, cancel, strike down
- usage: release from (claims, debts, or taxes); "The taxes were remitted"
- 4. remit, remand, send back, challenge
- usage: refer (a matter or legal case) to another committee or authority or court for decision
- 5. remit, forgive
- usage: forgive; "God will remit their sins"
- 6. slacken, remit, loosen, loose
- usage: make slack as by lessening tension or firmness
- 7. remit, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: diminish or abate; "The pain finally remitted"
See also: remit (Dictionary)