Synonyms for replacing
- 1. replacement, replacing, substitution, exchange, commutation
- usage: the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another; "replacing the star will not be easy"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. replace, regenerate, renew
- usage: substitute a person or thing for (another that is broken or inefficient or lost or no longer working or yielding what is expected); "He replaced the old razor blade"; "We need to replace the secretary that left a month ago"; "the insurance will replace the lost income"; "This antique vase can never be replaced"
- 2. supplant, replace, supersede, supervene upon, supercede, succeed, come after, follow
- usage: take the place or move into the position of; "Smith replaced Miller as CEO after Miller left"; "the computer has supplanted the slide rule"; "Mary replaced Susan as the team's captain and the highest-ranked player in the school"
- 3. replace, put back, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: put something back where it belongs; "replace the book on the shelf after you have finished reading it"; "please put the clean dishes back in the cabinet when you have washed them"
- 4. substitute, replace, interchange, exchange, change, alter, modify
- usage: put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items; "the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt"; "substitute regular milk with fat-free milk"; "synonyms can be interchanged without a changing the context's meaning"