Synonyms for ring
- 1. ring, sound
- usage: a characteristic sound; "it has the ring of sincerity"
- 2. ring, halo, annulus, doughnut, anchor ring, toroid
- usage: a toroidal shape; "a ring of ships in the harbor"; "a halo of smoke"
- 3. hoop, ring, band
- usage: a rigid circular band of metal or wood or other material used for holding or fastening or hanging or pulling; "there was still a rusty iron hoop for tying a horse"
- 4. closed chain, ring, chain, chemical chain
- usage: (chemistry) a chain of atoms in a molecule that forms a closed loop
- 5. gang, pack, ring, mob, association
- usage: an association of criminals; "police tried to break up the gang"; "a pack of thieves"
- 6. ring, ringing, tintinnabulation, sound
- usage: the sound of a bell ringing; "the distinctive ring of the church bell"; "the ringing of the telephone"; "the tintinnabulation that so voluminously swells from the ringing and the dinging of the bells"--E. A. Poe
- 7. ring, platform
- usage: a platform usually marked off by ropes in which contestants box or wrestle
- 8. ring, band, jewelry, jewellery
- usage: jewelry consisting of a circlet of precious metal (often set with jewels) worn on the finger; "she had rings on every finger"; "he noted that she wore a wedding band"
- 9. band, ring, strip, slip
- usage: a strip of material attached to the leg of a bird to identify it (as in studies of bird migration)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. ring, peal, sound, go
- usage: sound loudly and sonorously; "the bells rang"
- 2. resound, echo, ring, reverberate, sound, go
- usage: ring or echo with sound; "the hall resounded with laughter"
- 3. ring, knell, sound
- usage: make (bells) ring, often for the purposes of musical edification; "Ring the bells"; "My uncle rings every Sunday at the local church"
- 4. call, telephone, call up, phone, ring, telecommunicate
- usage: get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone; "I tried to call you all night"; "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
- 5. surround, environ, ring, skirt, border, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle; "The forest surrounds my property"
- 6. ring, band, attach
- usage: attach a ring to the foot of, in order to identify; "ring birds"; "band the geese to observe their migratory patterns"