Synonyms for roar
- 1. boom, roar, roaring, thunder, noise
- usage: a deep prolonged loud noise
- 2. bellow, bellowing, holla, holler, hollering, hollo, holloa, roar, roaring, yowl, cry, outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation
- usage: a very loud utterance (like the sound of an animal); "his bellow filled the hallway"
- 3. roar, cry
- usage: the sound made by a lion
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. roar, howl, make noise, resound, noise
- usage: make a loud noise, as of wind, water, or vehicles; "The wind was howling in the trees"; "The water roared down the chute"
- 2. thunder, roar, shout
- usage: utter words loudly and forcefully; "`Get out of here,' he roared"
- 3. howl, ululate, wail, roar, yawl, yaup, shout, shout out, cry, call, yell, scream, holler, hollo, squall
- usage: emit long loud cries; "wail in self-pity"; "howl with sorrow"
- 4. roar, proceed, go forward, continue
- usage: act or proceed in a riotous, turbulent, or disorderly way; "desperadoes from the hills regularly roared in to take over the town"-R.A.Billington
- 5. bellow, roar, utter, emit, let out, let loose
- usage: make a loud noise, as of animal; "The bull bellowed"
- 6. roar, howl, laugh, express joy, express mirth
- usage: laugh unrestrainedly and heartily
See also: roar (Dictionary)