Synonyms for roughness
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. roughness, raggedness, texture
- usage: a texture of a surface or edge that is not smooth but is irregular and uneven
- 2. harshness, roughness, unpleasantness
- usage: the quality of being unpleasant (harsh or rough or grating) to the senses
- 3. crudeness, roughness, inelegance
- usage: an unpolished unrefined quality; "the crudeness of frontier dwellings depressed her"
- 4. choppiness, roughness, rough water, storminess
- usage: used of the sea during inclement or stormy weather
- 5. rowdiness, rowdyism, roughness, disorderliness, disorder
- usage: rowdy behavior
- 6. pitting, roughness, indentation, corrosion, corroding, erosion
- usage: the formation of small pits in a surface as a consequence of corrosion
- 7. roughness, intensification
- usage: harsh or severe speech or behavior; "men associate the roughness of nonstandard working-class speech with masculinity"; "the roughness of her voice was a signal to keep quiet"